Sunday, December 6, 2009

Why Blog? Warning! a personal perspective

I recently enjoyed the company of long time friends and political activists at Marlene Lamontagne's nomination as the Liberal Party of Canada candidate in Calgary Southwest.

A very wise fellow at that event suggested that I blog too much. I think this was not a criticism of the blog or the content, but a questioning of the use of one's life in such an endeavour, especially when there are other things to be done.

He got me thinking, "Why do I, speaking for no one else, do this?"

It sounds trite to say, "Because I have to write." Actually, that's true though.

Writing serves another important purpose. I create personal/business development plans. The latest one has what I think to be novel features making it especially promising for all who might participate. This creative process requires focus that is also open to new information and interpretations of that information.

I find this process is hard work.

So writing the blog clears issues that it seems must get out in writing. These are then no longer distractions.

It also flexes the creative muscles to enable abstraction of the processes required for delivery of these developments without allowing them to become irrelevant to the working environments they are meant to operate in.

Lastly, writing these opinion pieces helps people who read it to understand who Mike is and provides context for any and all presentations of creative thought, while, perhaps strangely, also building a "box" or working environment for me that helps to keep distractions at bay.

So there you have my answer to: "Why blog?". I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else. I hope it does.

Now, back to work.
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment