Sunday, October 4, 2009

National Post October 3, 2009 The Most Hated Man in Mecca

At first I thought the National Post was reporting on a new Fox News reality show.

Have volunteers come forward vying for the title. Have the eliminations take place in Mecca with phone-in balloting and three judges adjudicating the contestants' performances.

You know,the American Idol thing.

Turns out it was the editors' selection only, along with the reporter/columnist.

I also thought the headline carried a certain amount of glee. "Whoopee, people hate us!"

I'm not sure that's the way to have influence in Mecca. While I disagree with the hatred of Kurt Westergaard, especially putting a price on his life, I'm not convinced stirring up hatred against oneself is an effective way to win friends among and influence the Saudi Muslims of Mecca.

I suspect the over-the-top cartoons were a bit of pandering to Islamophobia in Denmark and perhaps other European populations.

I can see how it might appeal to the ,"Whom we should hate today.", proselytizers like Beck or Limbaugh. But aren't they the same ilk as the condemners to death of Mr. Westergaard?

I mean, when was the last time hatred brought us peace, harmony and neighbourliness?
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment